Recently, there have been claims and circulated by several Non-Government Organisations (NGOs) supporting the use of Ivermectin as a "miracle drug" against Covid-19.
What is Ivermectin?
Ivermectin is an anti-parasitic drug used mainly in veterinary medicine. It is primarily used for treating worm infections in animals.
However, it is approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to treat people with intestinal strongyloidiasis and onchocerciasis, two conditions that are caused by parasitic worms. Additionally, topical Ivermectin can treat external parasites like head slices and skin conditions such as rosacea.
However, it is important to note that the form of Ivermectin used in animals and those to treat people are entirely different.
Clinical Trial For Using Ivermectin For Covid-19
Many Ivermectin studies to date had limited data, including small size, non-controlled study design. Some of these studies are coupled with different medication, and Ivermectin was used as an 'add-on'.
A clinical trial published in Lancet in January 2021 on non-severe Covid-19 patients in Clínica Universidad de Navarra shows no significant improvement for patients that were taking Ivermectin. All patients were aged between 21 to 44 years old.
Another clinical trial published in the Journal of American Medical Association (JAMA) with 476 adults with mild Covid-19 symptom also shows no significant improvement after a 5-day course of Ivermectin.
The Ministry of Health Malaysia has also initiated a randomised clinical trial to repurpose Ivermectin and evaluate its efficacy in high-risk Covid-19 patients. This trial will involve 500 Covid-19 patients in 12 hospitals.
There’s a lot of misinformation around, and you may have heard that it’s okay to take large doses of ivermectin. That is wrong.
Even the levels of Ivermectin for approved uses could interact with other medications, like blood-thinners.
Overdosing on Ivermectin could cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, hypotension (low blood pressure), allergic reactions (itching and hives), dizziness, ataxia (problems with balance), seizures, coma and even death.
In conclusion, consult your doctor before "trying" it yourself.