Koreans' outrage over the death of a 16 month-old toddler, Jeong-in, who had suffered brutal violence by her adopted parents and the failure of police officers to respond to three reports of suspected child abuse.
An investigative report aired by SBS on 3 January on Jeong-in's death was just 271 days after she was adopted by a family in Seoul, not even one year into the adoption program.
The adoptive parents abused Jeong-in for months, according to the report.
The first report was made from a day-care centre to Yangcheon Police Station last May after they found bruises on Jeong-in's body. The parents told the police they probably massaged the girl way too hard and the case was closed.
Next in June, where Jeong-in was reported to be left alone inside a parked car. Again in September, a paediatrician reported suspected abuse case to the police. All investigation was closed as they could not "find the evidence" that abuse took place.
Finally, Jeong-in died on 13 October 2020 at merely 16 months old at a hospital in Mok-dong, Yangcheon District in a horrible condition. Her small body was bruised, bones were fractured and suffered wounds on her head. A hospital worker reported suspected abuse to the police. She had three cardiac arrests at the hospital, and finally, the doctors could not resuscitate her.
[NOTICE]
— ON - use edl! (@engdaivityfess) January 4, 2021
Rest In Peace baby????????
#정인아_미안해
pic.twitter.com/w4Trkuj52x
According to the autopsy, Jeong-in died from serious internal bleeding due to external force. The doctors who saw the CT said that Jeong-In must have suffered extreme pain. She weighs only eight kg (17.6 pounds) at the age of 16 months which was even small when she was lighter when she was first adopted at seven months weighing at nine kilograms.

Jeong-in's adopted mother leaves the Seoul Southern District Court after a detention warrant hearing on Nov. 11, 2020. Image source via YONHAP
After the Yangcheon Police investigation, they concluded that the couple started violently abusing Jeong-in only one month after the adoption. The Seoul Southern District Prosecutors' Office indicted the adoptive mother for involuntary manslaughter by abuse while the father for negligence. The trial is set on 13 January.
Koreans outcried and petition to move the to from involuntary manslaughter by abuse to murder charges as the earlier charge maximum punishment is only 15 years in prison.
The petition received over 230,000 signatures as of 20 December.
im sorry jeong-in. i am so, so sorry you went through all of that. my heart is shattered. please keep that beautiful smile on your face. you no longer have to suffer in this cruel world anymore. fly high angel, please be happy... ❤️ #정인아_미안해 #SorryJungin pic.twitter.com/lYz9iJyrDA
— ari ᴮᴱ⁷₁₃ (@jiminsmvnchkin) January 3, 2021
The Korean Women Lawyers Association stated that the adoptive parents must be indicted for murder. “Based on evidence gathered so far, there is no reason not to indict them for murder.” They also asked the local government to strengthen its system to recognise child abuse.
In 2018 alone, 28 children died from abuse at home in Korea.
Another petition was also raised against the Yangcheon Police Precinct chief demanding immediate firing. It received over 110,000 signatures only one day. Currently, the police responded to the first and second report had only been issued a warning. The officers responded for the third report will face a disciplinary hearing.